Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wednesday in the garden

This week we're trying to make up our mind how long we'll keep the plants. We lost another tomato plant and several are looking bad. The pumpkin plant on the far left is doing well. The okra is doing well and I cut the green beans at the base yesterday. The green beans haven't produced since the 100 degree temperatures. I've got a problem with bugs on the tomatoes and okra. We're thinking ahead to the fall garden. I've already planted tomato seeds for the fall garden.

a bloom!

This is the 1st plant to bloom of the 13 that I am growing from hybrid seeds. I got the seeds from Sonny. The parentage is (Rosalind x Remembrance) x Smokey Mountain. The photo was taken in the shade, my hand is in the shot for scale.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Bud Watch

I'm watching and waiting on these buds to open. This picture was taken late Monday afternoon. I'm growing 13 hybrid hibiscus plants from seeds. This is my 1st plant to have buds. I'll post the parentage of the plant after I find my notes. last Thursday morning

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wednesday in the garden July 22nd

This weeks shot is from the other end with the netting open. My basket is hanging from an S hook that my husband made from a piece of rod. We've lost 3 tomato plants in the garden. It's been really hot and we're not sure how much longer these plants are going to make. The green beans aren't making but, they're shade for the tomato plants. We're getting a few tomatoes and a few pods of okra each day.

Wednesday in the garden July 15th

I'm sorry about the delay, life has gotten in the way. It's been hot and the garden isn't producing well.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009


I think I have found a new THING to be into. This was so much FUN! I had no idea what I was going for when I started them. All the backgrounds are light green from my last dyeing. This piece was started with set-a-color on a stamp made from door/window insulation on a roll and recycled wood. The texture on the insulation is a wonderful effect. I came back with craft spouncers and Lumiere paint. The yellow is a metallic gold Lumiere paint. I started with the hands stamp and yellow. I was using a foam brush to apply the set-a-color. All the paints are set-a-color in this piece. I came back with the green and then later applied the red and blue. The smaller dots are the same paint as the larger with some white set-a-color to lighten the effect.

I think this is my favorite piece. I started with the string stamp and Dye-na-Flow and then came back with Lumiere. I know I will be making more pieces like this. I'm anxious to make more string stamps.

I started with Dye-na-Flow on this piece. I was applying it with a foam brush. I didn't like the effect. Later, I stamped all over the piece with the same stamp and Lumiere. This time I used a foam roller to apply the paint. I love the effect of the roller. I may end up going back over this piece with the same stamp and more green paint.

These pieces are the result of a challenge I made a few weeks ago. I'm so glad that I made the challenge and got the pieces done. I learned a lot from this project. I know I will be doing this again soon.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

stamping challenge

Well, I'm behind as usual. This is as far as I have gotten on my stamping challenge. I annouced the challenge, I picked the deadline date and I didn't make it in time. Oh well, maybe I can get the stamping done tomorrow. These are some of the stamps I made the last 2 days. I see that at least one is missing from my pictures. I really like the one I made with the nylon cord. I'm anxious to see how the stamps work out. This has been fun!

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Wednesday in the garden

We had 1.7" of rain earlier this week. We've added 2 pieces of pipe to lift the netting. The tomato plants are trying to recover with the 100+ temperatures we have had the last few weeks. We're watering from above and it seems to be working well for the garden. The cucumbers are doing well since it hasn't been as hot.

This is an okra bloom.

The Lone Star Hibiscus bloomed twice on 1 plant today.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wednesday in the garden

The okra is getting taller and there are a lot of blooms on the green bean plants. The heat and lack of rain is effecting the garden. The baby broccoli plants died. I'll try seeds again soon. The tomato worms have been gobbling up leaves and eating into the tomatoes. We think we have found all of them. The squirrels get a tomato or two a day. The varigated hibiscus below has been blooming like crazy since I cleaned out the bed it's in. There are other hibiscus plants around it and Katy Ruella is growing on the right.