Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
In 2008 I read that 1/3 of the waste in landfills is from packaging. I was shocked and we (our grown sons are also into this) started recycling again. This picture was taken in a local library parking lot. I use an empty bolt from fabric to hold the container open so I can dispose of the paper/postboard/cardboard products more easily. In our area you can find these containers at all the county libraries parking lots, all the school parking lots and most church parking lots.
I collect until my containers get full and then dispose when I'm at the library anyway.
All our junk mail, newspapers, cereal boxes, jar labels, can labels, and cardboard boxes are recycled this way.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
The bird bath and plants were pictures I took in our backyard. I printed them on fabric and appliqued them to a hand dyed fabric. The machine quilting was a combination of straight stitching with a walking foot and free motion quilting. This quilt was made in response to a challenge from a challenge group that I'm in on the internet.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
I started this quilt in 1993. I was in 3 states in 1 month that summer. I bought 4 fabrics at each quilt shop I visited in each state. I ended up with 36 fabrics. I started this quilt the summer of 1993 and was working on it the day my grandpa died. I wasn't able to make myself finish the quilt until 2004. A few weeks ago our grandson was sick and he threw up on the edge of the quilt. I had prewashed all my fabrics, I had no concerns about washing this quilt. I put it in the washer for a warm water wash with my regular detergent. I was shocked to see the quilt after it came out of the dryer. The turquoise dye ran everywhere on the quilt. The binding was pieced from the same fabrics as the top and there was also bleeding on the border. It was very disappointing to me and I felt like the quilt was ruined. I asked my fabric dyeing friends (the dyehards) what went wrong and they had an idea of how to fix it. In the process of this discussion I found out that I didn't have my hot water heater set high enough. I did a test and had my husband set it up 1 notch and I did another test. Today I took the time to wash the quilt again. You will find my result below.
It's Wednesday and I spend a lot of time in the yard that day of the week. It's fertilizing day for the hibiscus and tomato plants. This is a picture of our new garden and the debris in the background is from hurricane Ike. The onions are starting to come up, the tomatoes, egg plant, cucumbers, bell peppers and Marigolds are doing well. There is no sign of the green beans that were planted last Saturday.
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Happy Quilting! Debbie