Saturday, March 13, 2010

playing with a new technique

I've been wanting to try this technique. I read about it in a book and got pointers from friends. I'm also working with an online group that is trying new techniques. I heavily starched the 2 fabrics and then cut them with a rotary cutter. I wove the pieces together starting at the lower left hand corner. I used a fabric glue stick to secure the edges.
Once the piece was woven I turned it over and fused a piece of white Kona cotton on the back of it. Below you can see that the weaving process changed the look of the lighter fabric. It's a very subtle change. You can see the detail of the stitches in the shot below.

This is a shot of the stitched piece. At this point I don't know what I'm going to do with it. It might end up being the base for a small wall hanging.