Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sharpie Experiments

I was working on a challenge and I decided I wanted to try Sharpie's again. This piece was going to be used as a scrap book cover when finished. I decided to use more ink, I was going for more color. This is a closeup of the result. I sprayed the fabric with alcohol and left it to dry. The piece wasn't on a totally flat surface and that may have been part of the problem. This was not the result I was going for. I also thought I used to much ink.

Another closeup
at some point in the near future I plan to apply alcohol again and see what happens

Next experiment, less ink
I was hoping for a fabulous watercolor effect. I doodled all over the piece.

I sprayed it with alcohol and put it in a jar.

Then I hung it on the line to dry. I think that was a huge mistake. The result was dull, boring and not what I was going for. Next time I'll lay the piece on a flat surface to dry.


  1. the cover of a chest freezer is a flat surface that doesn't absorb inks


  2. These are really cool. I love the flower wreath. I wonder what would have happened if you had colored in the entire scrunched up piece. I might have to try that! Thanks for the inspiration :-)

  3. To get a good watercolor effect, scrunch the fabric up & then use wide Sharpies to color all over. Then wet with alcohol. I think that will give you the effect you're looking for. It just takes more ink.

  4. thanks for the comments-I plan to play with this again soon